Where There's A Whisk... | Faking Homemade Cupcakes
Welcome to a new series here on Books & Batter, "Where There's a Whisk..." I've been getting so many questions about baking techniques and advice, so I decided to make answering them a regular part of the blog! A lot of you have expressed feeling frustrated in the kitchen when it comes to baking, but as some baker somewhere probably said once: Where there's a whisk, there's a way!
Every other Sunday (when I'm not baking cupcakes), I'll pick a question from the inbox and answer it here. That means a reason to visit Books & Batter every Sunday now! Make sure you'll following Books & Batter on Instagram, so you know when there's a new post!
Faking Homemade Cupcakes
Homemade cupcakes are hands down the best cupcakes, but let's be real. Sometimes you just don't have the time or the motivation to make them from scratch. Boxed batter can be so tempting-- you just add water, pop them in the oven and go! But with a few quick extra steps, you can upgrade that boxed batter and nobody will be the wiser.
Here's a list of some of my personal favorite hacks to use with boxed batter. Shh! Nobody has to know!
- Use butter instead of oil. Melted, unsalted butter will give even the cheapest boxed batter a rich, flavorful, homemade taste.
- Skip water, use milk. You really can't call it homemade if there's no milk in it. For extra richness, substitute the remaining amounts of water with milk or buttermilk.
- Add pure vanilla extract. Just a few teaspoons of good (not imitation) vanilla extract can really enhance the flavor of your cupcakes!
- Perk it up with coffee. Substituting some of the water the mix calls for with strong coffee gives depth to ANY chocolate baked good--from brownies to cupcakes to cakes!
- Dust liners with powdered sugar. My mom did this a lot growing up! After you spray your liners with Pam, and before you fill them with batter, lightly dust them with powdered sugar. YUM!
- Use a homemade frosting. Homemade icing is often as easy as mixing butter, sugar and a flavor in a bowl!
What are you favorite ways to cheat homemade cakes and cupcakes? Tell me in the comments below!
Got another baking question you'd like me to answer on "Where There's a Whisk..."? Shoot me an email at email@example.com.
Happy Baking, everybody!